what RAD really, really looks like at it's worst...I remember now. Really, I do.
And I feel as helpless as ever. I keep reminding myself what Shirley, our therapist, said at the very beginning. "She will start getting better. Then there will be a huge regression. And it will get better again. But there will be another regression, but not quite as severe. And it will continue like this, each time hopefully the getting better part will last longer, and the regressions will become shorter and less severe."
And I should have fully expected the regression, after all, her birthday is on Friday, and she does have the meanest mother in the whole entire universe that won't bring snacks in for the class because they have a field trip (where did this come from???), and who generally tries to make her life miserable on a daily basis. Gimme a break.
Anyways, it was a great night. I picked her up from latchkey only to find out she yelled continuously at a supervisor and got a referral, she was digging through the garbage in the classroom, she took a marker from the teacher, and the Entertainment book I had just purchased through her school fundraiser was destroyed on its way home from school.
Oh, well. It could be worse. It has been worse. I just have to keep reminding myself of that.
School has been in session for three weeks. So far Butterfly has had:
7 problem solvers to complete
6 phone calls home
3 notable issues at latchkey
1 meeting with the principal for inappropriate conduct
1 referral on the bus
1 referral from latchkey
She is definitely on a roll. Just not a good one.
Hoping we can get things turned around soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your post reminds me so much of where P has taken us at times in the both recent and sorta distant past. Birthdays are just so hard for our kids. Our best one yet with P was last year, when we sprang it on him a whole week in advance. Copied the idea from a host of other RAD mom blogs. P did not see it coming and he was DELIGHTED. And it went off without a hitch. And then we had a small additional celebration on his actual birthday and he was able to handle that as well. Is there any chance you could spring her bday celebration on her virtually immediately and just let her be "past it?"
ReplyDeleteThe school stuff.... ugh.